The intestines are important organs in the gastrointestinal tract of human digestive system. Intestines are a long and continuous tube running from the stomach to the anus. It mainly includes the small intestine, large intestine and rectum. Most absorption of nutrients and water take place in the intestines. Small intestine is the longest part of human digestive system. It connects stomach to large intestine. The main function of small intestine is to absorb most of the nutrients from the food. Large intestine is also known as large bowel. The main function of large intestine is to absorb water from undigested food and create a stool.
Laparoscopic surgery is also called as minimally invasive surgery. It is used to treat various diseases of small and large intestines. Laparoscopic surgery is the most advanced type of surgery and is a boon for patients suffering from Gastrointestinal and digestive tract diseases. Laparoscopic surgery is a modern surgical procedure used to examine and treat organs inside the abdomen. In this surgery, a laparoscope is used which is a thin tube with a high-intensity light and a high-resolution camera is attached at the front side. A laparoscopic surgery is done by the skillful laparoscopic surgeon only.
Laparoscopic surgery is performed to treat and cure various diseases of small and large intestines including:
Diseases of Small Intestines
- Celiac disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Intestinal cancer
- Intestinal obstruction
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Ulcers such as peptic ulcer
Diseases of Large Intestines
Procedure of Laparoscopic Surgery
- Laparoscopic Surgery allows surgeon to see inside body in real time, without open surgery. Laparoscopic surgeon performs laparoscopic surgery to identify and to diagnose abdominal pain. It is performed at hospital or clinic.
- Before laparoscopic surgery, the patient is given general anesthesia. During laparoscopic surgery, the laparoscopic surgeon makes several small incisions in the abdomen. The number, size and area of incisions are mainly depending on the type of diseases.
- Then surgeon inserts a laparoscope though incisions. A laparoscope is a long, thin surgical tool. The camera is attached to the laparoscope which is helpful to displays the images on a screen. These images are very helpful for surgeon to view organs in real time. Finally surgeon performs surgery to treat and cure relevant diseases.
- After the procedure is done, the instruments are removed. Incisions are then closed with stitches or surgical tape. A bandage is also placed over the incisions.
- Laparoscopic surgery takes around 30 minutes to few hours depending on the type of disease. Patient has to follow instructions strictly after undergoing laparoscopic surgery.
Benefits of Laparoscopic Surgery
Laparoscopic surgery has various benefits over traditional or open surgery. Major benefits of laparoscopic surgery include:
- Less pain
- Minimal blood loss
- Faster recovery
- No big tissue cutting
- Smaller incisions are needed
- No risk of severe infections
- Less hospital stay
- Better results
Dr Gaurav Mishra is one of the best Laparoscopic Surgeon in Mumbai. He is a specialist in the colon, rectum, anal and stomach diseases. Dr Gaurav Mishra’s Saraswati Nursing Home in Mumbai has all advanced medical technology to provide modern Laparoscopic treatments to all types of stomach diseases. Dr Gaurav Mishra has a good experience about laparoscopic procedures involved in the diagnosis and treatment of anal, rectum, colon and Stomach diseases.