Laparoscopic Rectopexy is a highly advanced and effective surgical method which is used to repair Rectal Prolapse. The Rectal Prolapse is a rare disease and it occurs when the rectum protrudes from the Anus. The rectum is the last part of the large intestine and it stores feces. The prolapsed rectum can cause fecal incontinence. Rectal prolapse can also treat with stool softeners, suppositories and other medications but laparoscopic surgery is the best option to treat rectal prolapse. In Laparoscopic Rectopexy surgery, the rectum is re-established to its normal position in the pelvis. Rectal Prolapse can cause severe complications if it is not treated promptly and properly.
Dr Gaurav Mishra is one of the best Laparoscopic Surgeon and Colo-proctologist in Mumbai. He is an expert in the treatment of colon, rectum and anus diseases. Dr Gaurav Mishra has performed lots of complex Laparoscopic Rectopexy surgeries successfully.
Causes of Rectal Prolapse
Rectal Prolapse can occur due to many conditions including:
- Chronic constipation or diarrhea
- History of straining during bowel movements
- Older age
- Weakening of the anal sphincter
- injury to the anal or pelvic areas
- nerve damage
Symptoms of Rectal Prolapse
- Swelling in anus
- Difficulty in controlling bowel movements
- Bright red blood coming out of the rectum
Diagnosis of Rectal Prolapse
Laparoscopic Surgeon can use several tests to diagnose rectal prolapsed. Common diagnosis methods include
- Anal electromyography (EMG)
- Anal manometry
- Anal ultrasound
- Pudendal nerve terminal motor latency test:
- MRI test
Procedure of Laparoscopic Rectopexy
- Laparoscopic Rectopexy surgery is one of the most effective surgery which is used to repair a rectal prolapse. In this surgery, the rectum is restored to its normal position in the pelvis.
- First of all, laparoscopic surgeon performs physical examination of patient before starting of surgery. The patient is given general anesthesia.
- The laparoscopic rectopexy surgery is performed through small incisions. Laparoscopic surgeon makes several small incisions in the abdomen.
- A laparoscope is a long, thin surgical tool. It is inserted into the abdomen through one of the incision. Laparoscope takes images of the abdomen so that laparoscopic surgeon can perform surgery very well. Surgeon can see images on the monitor.
- The Laparoscopic surgeon starts the surgery by locating the sigmoid colon and rectum. Then the rectum is released from its surrounding structures and gently lifted into its proper position inside the pelvis.
- Laparoscopic surgeon makes stitches around the rectum to secure it in place. Mesh can be used along with the stitches. These stitches are dissolvable. In some cases, surgeon removes a portion of sigmoid colon.
- Finally incisions are closed. The surgery can take around 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on the severity of rectal prolapse condition.
Benefits of Laparoscopic Rectopexy
Laparoscopic Rectopexy surgery is more advantages than traditional surgery. It has various benefits such as:
- Involves only incision
- No big tissue cutting
- Less pain
- Minimal blood loss
- Faster recovery
- Less hospital stay
- Less chances of infections
- No severe side effects
Laparoscopic surgeon gives specific instructions to patients for faster recovery and avoiding any complications. Patient has to avoid strenuous activities like lifting heavy objects, running and fast walking as well as should follow all instructions given by the doctor. Medications and soft diet is very helpful for faster recovery. In case of any problem, patient should consult the surgeon immediately.
Dr Gaurav Mishra is a skillful General Laparoscopic Surgeon in Mumbai. He is a specialist in the colon, rectum, anal and stomach diseases. Dr Gaurav Mishra’s Saraswati Nursing Home in Mumbai has advanced medical techniques for the treatment of all types of stomach diseases. Dr Gaurav Mishra has in-depth knowledge about colon, rectum, anal and stomach diseases. He has a superior experience about laparoscopic procedures involved in the diagnosis and treatment of anal, rectum, colon and Stomach diseases.