Laparoscopic Pyloromyotomy is an advanced minimally invasive surgical procedure used to correct Pyloric Stenosis condition. It is rare condition occurring in infants which blocks food from entering the small intestine. A Pylorus is a muscular valve between the stomach and small intestine. The pylorus regulates entry of food from the stomach into the duodenum. It is one of the vital component of the gastrointestinal system. In Pyloric Stenosis condition, the pylorus muscles thicken and become abnormally large which blocks food from entering the small intestine. Laparoscopic surgeon performs laparoscopic pyloromyotomy to correct pyloric stenosis. Babies suffering from pyloric stenosis are always hungry. Pyloric Stenosis is mostly occurring in boys than in girls.
Dr Gaurav Mishra is one of the skillful Laparoscopic Surgeon and Colo-proctologist in Mumbai. He is an expert in the treatment of colon, rectum and anus diseases. Dr Gaurav Mishra has performed lots of complex laparoscopic pyloromyotomy surgeries successfully.
Symptoms of Pyloric Stenosis
Symptoms of pyloric stenosis are usually seen within three to five weeks after birth. Common symptoms include:
- Constant hunger
- Stomach contractions
- Weight loss
- Change in bowel movements
Causes of Pyloric Stenosis
- Family history
- Premature birth
- Smoking during pregnancy
- Early antibiotic use
- Bottle feeding
Surgery is needed to treat pyloric stenosis. Laparoscopic Pyloromyotomy is a highly advanced surgical procedure than conventional open surgery. Pyloromyotomy is done using minimally invasive technique.
Procedure of Laparoscopic Pyloromyotomy
- First of all, doctor gives anesthesia to baby. If baby is dehydrated then he or she is given fluid replacement before surgery.
- Laparoscopic Pyloromyotomy is performed by using a laparoscope. The laparoscope is a thin, long surgical tool.
- The laparoscopic surgeon makes small incisions on the abdomen of baby. Then laparoscope is inserted through one of the incision to examine the thickened muscles of the pylorus
- A tool is inserted through another incision to separate the thickened tight muscle at the far end of the stomach. This opens a channel for food to pass through to the small intestine.Laparoscopic Pyloromyotomy takes about 30 minutes.
- After the surgery, food is not given to baby for few hours. Then as per the doctor’s advice, small amount of clear liquid is given to baby.
Benefits of Laparoscopic Pyloromyotomy
Laparoscopic Pyloromyotomy has various benefits over traditional Pyloromyotomy surgery. Major benefits include:
- Less blood loss
- Faster recovery
- No big tissue cutting
- Smaller scars
- Less hospital stay
- Minimal pain
Pyloric stenosis is difficult to detect. If pyloric stenosis is not treated on time then it can cause various complications in the future. Today various advanced medical techniques are utilized for the treatment of pyloric stenosis condition.
Dr Gaurav Mishra is one of the best Laparoscopic Surgeon in Mumbai. He is an expert in the colon, rectum, anal and stomach diseases. Dr Gaurav Mishra’s Saraswati Nursing Home in Mumbai has all advanced medical technology to provide modern Laparoscopic treatments to all types of stomach diseases.