Laparoscopic Appendectomy is an advanced surgical procedure used to treat Acute Appendicitis. In this procedure, the vermiform appendix is removed by laparoscopic surgery. Appendicitis is a condition in which the appendix becomes inflamed and pus is created in the appendix. This condition causes extreme pain. The Appendix is a small finger shaped tube which is located on the lower right side of the abdomen and connected to the colon. Appendicitis can occur at any age and Laparoscopic surgery is the most suitable treatment option to cure Appendicitis. Dr Gaurav Mishra is a skillful Laparoscopic Surgeon and Colo-proctologist in Mumbai. He is an expert in the treatment of colon, rectum and anus diseases. Dr Gaurav Mishra has performed lots of complicated Laparoscopic Appendectomy surgeries successfully.
Symptoms of Appendicitis
Signs and symptoms of appendicitis include:
- Sudden pain on the right side of the lower abdomen
- Sudden pain around navel and moves towards lower right abdomen
- Worsening pain in case of cough, walk or heavy movements
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Low-grade fever
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Abdominal bloating
Causes of Appendicitis
Appendicitis can occur due to more than one cause and in many cases the cause is not clear. Common causes include:
- Blockages of the opening inside the appendix
- Enlarged tissues in the wall of appendix caused by infection in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Stool, parasites or growths that can clogging appendiceal lumen
- Trauma to abdomen
Diagnosis of Appendicitis
Common diagnosis methods include:
- Blood tests to check for infection
- Imaging tests such as MRI, CT or ultrasound scan to see inflammation of appendix
- Urine tests to identify a kidney or bladder infection
Treatment of Appendicitis
Laparoscopic Appendectomy is the surgical procedure used to remove appendix. This procedure is mostly performed as an emergency operation. Laparoscopic surgery is also known as keyhole or minimally invasive surgery (MIS) surgery. This is the most advanced type of surgery. Laparoscopic Appendectomy is performed by a well experienced and skillful laparoscopic surgeon only.
Procedure of Laparoscopic Appendectomy
- Doctor advise patient not to eat food before surgery. The patient is given medications or antibiotic to reduce nauseaand vomiting.
- Laparoscopic Appendectomy is performed under local anesthesia. In this procedure, doctor makes several small incisions in the abdomen. A Laparoscopic surgeon inserts a very thin tube or laparoscope into the abdomen through a hollow instrument known as a cannula. The laparoscope has a tiny video camera and light.
- The laparoscopic surgeon can view inside of the abdomen on a monitor. Tiny instruments moves as per the movements of the surgeon’s hands and the appendix is removed through small abdominal incisions.
- Laparoscopic Appendectomy is the most effective surgical method for elderly and obese people.
Advantages of Laparoscopic Appendectomy
- Less pain
- Shorter hospital stay
- Faster recovery time
- Quick return to normal diet
- Faster healing process
- Better cosmetic healing
- Less bleeding
- No big tissue cutting
The recovery time of Laparoscopic Appendectomy is variable and depending on the severity of appendicitis and type of anesthesia. Laparoscopic Appendectomy is done on an outpatient basis so that the patient gets discharge within one or two days to recover at home.
Dr Gaurav Mishra is a well known and highly experienced General Laparoscopic Surgeon in Mumbai. He is a specialist in the colon, rectum, anal and stomach diseases. Dr Gaurav Mishra’s Saraswati Nursing Home in Mumbai is a well equipped with advanced medical technology to provide modern Laparoscopic treatments to all types of stomach diseases. Dr Gaurav Mishra has a comprehensive knowledge of colon, rectum, anal and stomach diseases. He has a good experience about laparoscopic procedures involved in the diagnosis and treatment of anal, rectum, colon and Stomach diseases.